- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ⅓ lb lean beef mince
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- pinch of dried basil
- pinch of dried oregano
- ½ cup cooked rice
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add onions and garlic, cook until soft and golden.
- Add the ground beef and cook until fully brown. Transfer in a colander. Drain. Return meat to the saucepan.
- Tip in green pepper and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the diced tomatoes together with juice into a saucepan, stir well.
- Season to taste with salt and sugar. Stir in dried basil and oregano.
- Turn down the heat. Put a lid on and leave to cook for 10 minutes.
- Add cooked rice and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool thoroughly.
- Spread unstuffed peppers on dehydrator tray covered with non-stick sheet or parchment paper.
- Dehydrate at 145F for 8-10 hours until brittle.
- Pack the dried meal into a zip-lock bag.
ON THE TRAIL
- Pour beef and pepper mixture into the pot; add 1 cup water and stir well.
- Place pot over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, cover, and let stand another 5-10 minutes to rehydrate meal completely.
Calories: 675kcal | Carbohydrates: 87.3g | Protein: 40.7g | Fat: 13.3g | Sodium: 16mg | Sugar: 7.3g