This super-easy and yummy trail chili has to be one of the best dishes to serve on a backpacking trip.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 600 gs lean beef mince
- 2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 can canned kidney beans drained
- 1 can canned sweet corn drined
- 2 tablespoons chilli con carne spice mixture Santa Maria
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic, cook until soft and golden.
- Add the ground beef and cook until fully brown. Transfer meat to a colander. Drain and then return the meat to the saucepan.
- Tip in red pepper, beans, sweet corn and chilli con carne spice mix.
- Continue to cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes together with their juice into a saucepan. Bring to aboil and season to taste.
- Reduce heat to low, put a lid on and leave to cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool thoroughly.
- Spread the trail chilli mixture on dehydrator trays covered with non-stick sheets or parchment paper.
- Dehydrate at 63C/145F for 8-10 hours until brittle.
- Divide the dried meal into equal portions (about 1 cup each) and pack them into medium-sized zip lock bags.
ON THE TRAIL- TO REHYDRATE ONE PORTION
- Pour dry chilli mixture into the pot; add 1 cup water and stir well.
- Bring to a boil and cook,stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand another 5-10 minutes to rehydrate meal completely.
Calories: 681kcal | Carbohydrates: 88.2g | Protein: 58.1g | Fat: 13g | Sodium: 90mg | Sugar: 11.2g