Spicy coconut curry with rice noodles. This is our favorite Thai backpacking recipe for multi-day trips. Shown with dried seaweed (nori) flakes and fresh foraged watercress.
- 1 packet Tom Ka curry paste
- 2 instanoodle rice noodle soup packages
- ½ envelope dehydrated coconut milk powder
- Optional – any dried vegetables mushrooms, etc.
- Deconstruct noodle soup packages, crush noodles and save season packet for another dish.
- Add noodles and coconut powder to gallon-size ziplock freezer bag.
ON THE TRAIL
- Add curry paste to bag along with 3 cups boiled water, zip closed and allow to set 10 minutes.
Depending on where your hiking, such as near a creek, you could forage for watercress-a superb addition to any backcountry meal. Top your dish with fresh cress if your lucky. I’ve eaten this dish hot or cold. If you’re near a stream , hold the bag in the running water to cool and eat like a salad – delicious! You can boost this meal by adding almost any dehydrated vegetable or mushroom at home to the ziplock bag. I sometimes add dehydrated tofu sheets or knots to meals for added protein. Asian markets sell many dehydrated ingredients that are great to use in backpacking meals.