Seared Sausage with Cabbage and Pink Lady Apples
This quick and easy sausage dinner gets its flavor from fresh Pink Lady apples and a big splash of apple cider.
- Iron Skillet
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 small sweet Italian sausage links about 1 1/2 pounds total
- 2 Pink Lady apples halved
- ½ red onion sliced
- ½ head red cabbage cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c. fresh apple cider
- 2 tbsp. fresh cider vinegar
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes; transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add apples, cut-sides down. Scatter onion and cabbage around apples. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring onion occasionally, until apples are golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Flip apples. Return sausage to skillet, nestling among vegetables. Add cider and vinegar. Simmer, rotating and turning sausages occasionally, until sausages are cooked through and apples are tender, 18 to 20 minutes.
When cooking, use firm apple varieties like Pink Lady or Gala that hold up to heat well. Avoid Red Delicious and Gold Delicious—they can get mushy.