Lemon Blueberry Pancakes
These delicious and fluffy pancakes made in a castiron skillet make camping extra special. With this winning flavor combination, you'll be doubling and tripling this recipe. This pancake recipe is perfect for camping, or even at home on the stove-top. This recipe is excerpted with permission from the "Cast-iron Camping Cookbook", Callisto Media/Rockridge Press, June 2020.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 3 ½ tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup lemon juice or juice from 2 lemons
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 1 cup blueberries
- vegetable oil for cooking
- Preheat the skillet over medium heat.
- Melt the butter in a metal bowl or tin can near the fire for 1-2 minutes. (If you are at home or in an RV, melt in the microwave in a glass bowl. This usually takes 10-30 seconds).
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk and lemon juice; let it sit for 2 minutes.
- Add the lemon-milk mixture, the melted butter, and egg to the flour mixture and whisk until there are no lumps. Add the blueberries in and gently mix together.
- Heat about 1 tbsp. of oil for 1-2 minutes. Using a measuring cup, pour 1/4 c. batter into the pan.
- When the bubbles on the pancake no longer pop, 1 to 2 minutes, flip it. Cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a plate. Repeat this process until all of the batter is gone, adding more oil as needed.
For plain pancakes, do not add the lemon or blueberries. For buttermilk pancakes, use the juice of only one lemon or 2 tbsps. lemon juice. For another delicious option, try using 1 mashed banana or 1 grate apple instead of the lemon juice and blueberries. For a vegan-alternative, replace the egg with 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce, use 1 c. soy or almond milk, and use 2 tbsp. vegetable oil instead of butter. To save time, mix the dry ingredients at home and portion into zip-top bags.