Foil Wrapped Baked Sweet Potatoes and Chili
Combining a campfire baked sweet potato with a simple vegetarian chili, this hearty recipe is a quick and easy meal to warm yourself up on chilly nights.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 15 oz can kidney beans drained
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- ½ can beer
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Other optional toppings: Green onions, cheese, avocado, etc.
- Wrap each of the sweet potatoes in heavy duty foil and nestle them into the embers of your campfire. Turn them every so often to ensure they cook evenly.
- While the potatoes are cooking, make the chili. Over medium heat, warm the oil in a pot. Once hot, add ¾ of the diced onions (reserve the rest for topping) and sauté for a few minutes until they start to soften. Add the beans, tomato paste, beer (or other liquid, like broth), and spices. Stir well to combine. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are soft and cooked through (about 30 minutes total, give or take a bit depending on their size), retrieve from the fire. Carefully unwrap the foil. Use a knife to cut a slit in the potato, then top with the chili, onions, and anything else you have on hand. Enjoy!