First Morning Chana Breakfast Tacos
Don't let up on the glamp. Frozen eggs will thaw for the scramble by morning. With chana, it's good enough for home eatin'.
Servings 6 people
- big skillet
- can opener
- large plastic bowl with lid (to keep tortillas warm)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 28 oz cooked chickpeas canned
- 14 oz fire roasted tomatoes canned
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup olive oil
- 12 flour tortillas taco or small burrito sized
- salt to taste
- Combine dry spices into a snack-sized zipper lock bag.
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl, adding about 1 large pinch of salt for every 2 eggs. Add ground pepper, is desired. Store sealed bag in the freezer.
In the field:
- Open the can of cooked chickpeas and drain most of the liquid. Open the can of tomatoes.
- Heat just over ¼ cup of olive oil in a pot. Add all of the spices and fry on medium heat for 1 minute to bloom the spices. Add the tomatoes and chickpeas. Cook on medium heat for about 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Lid and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to a skillet. Add eggs and scramble over medium heat. Have an assistant warm the tortillas on another burner or over the morning campfire. Store heated tortillas in the large, plastic bowl
- When the eggs are done, campers grab a tortilla, add eggs and chana, and eat.
Blessèd are the tortillas, for they do not need to be cleaned after the meal.
Calories: 626kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 18g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 164mg | Sodium: 485mg | Potassium: 563mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 285IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 163mg | Iron: 7mg