Pack your dutch oven for this lasagna recipe that you can cook over the fire. Just because you're camping, doesn't mean you have to eat hot dogs every night.
- 1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 24 oz. jar spaghetti sauce
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- ¼ cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 14 uncooked lasagna noodles
- ¾ cup hot water
- In a bowl, mix eggs, 1 ¾ cups mozzarella cheese, Parmesan and cottage cheese, oregano and garlic powder
- Spread about 24 hot coals in a flat later under Dutch oven. Cook beef and onion until meat is crumbly and onion is tender. Transfer to a bowl and stir in sauce.
- Break 5 noodles to cover the bottom of the pot. Top with the following layers: 1/3 of the meat mixture, half the cheese mixture, 5 noodles, half the remaining meat mixture, all remaining cheese mixture, last 4 noodles and rest of meat. Pour hot water around inside edge of the pot and cover with lid.
- Rearrange 12 of the hot coals in a ring under the Dutch oven and place the rest on the lid. Cook 45 minutes or until noodles are tender, rotating pot and lid several times and replenishing coals to maintain temperature. Remove from heat and let rest uncovered for 10 minutes. Before serving, sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup mozzarella and let melt.