Dutch Oven Shawarma Sandwiches
An easy dutch oven recipe for campfire cooking that uses exotic flavors to create a simple and easy meal
- 1 lb beef preferably chuck or rump roast
- 1 onion
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Pereg Shwarma Mixed Spices
- 1 large tomato
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 lemon
- ½ purple onion
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- ground black pepper
- 4 pita pockets
- 1 8-12 oz hummus of your choice
- Build a campfire and allow the fire to burn until it has accumulated a bed of coals. While fire is burning, prepare the meat. Slice the meat and onions thinly.
- Add all but 1 tsp. of the olive oil to the dutch oven. Add the beef, yellow onion, Pereg Shwarma Mixed Spices and salt and pepper to taste.
- After fire has been reduced to coals, carefully set the dutch oven of top. Use leather gloves to carry the dutch oven. Set timer for 20 minutes.
- Dice the tomato, purple onion and cucumber. Add reserved olive oil, and the juice from the lemon. Add salt and pepper to taste. Optional- add some diced cilantro for additional flavor.
- After twenty minutes, remove dutch oven from fire, stir thoroughlyouglyly and return to the on new coals for an additional 20 minutes.
- Cut pita bread in half. Spread hummus inside each half and add 2 tablespoons salad to each half.
- Remove dutch oven from fire. Keep dutch oven out of reach because it is extremely hot. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Spoon 2-4 tbsps meat into each pita pocket half. Serve warm.
- For stovetop, cook the meat on medium heat stirring frequently and use only 1 tbsp. olive oil. Takes about 15-20 minutes on the stove. You can also cook this using a dutch oven in the grill at 425 degrees and with the same directions as if you are making it over a fire.