Dal Bhat is the most popular dish served during trekking tours in the Himalayas. It consists a steamed rice and thick lentil soup called dal. For simplicity and convenience in field preparation, I’ve created one-pot version of recipe.
- ¼ cup quick-cooking rice
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking red lentils
- 1 tablespoon freeze-dried caramelised red onion
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- Mix all dry ingredients in a medium-sized zip-lock bag.
- Pack ghee separately.
ON THE TRAIL
- Put the dry Dal Bhat mixture in a pot and add 1 cup water.
- Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10-15 minutes until rehydrated.
- Stir in ghee or coconut oil and enjoy!
Sodium: 1035mg | Sugar: 2.3g | Calories: 458kcal | Fat: 16.2g | Protein: 17g | Carbohydrates: 63.5g