Creamy Basil Chipotle Penne
- 1 whole sliced red bell pepper
- 1/2, sliced onion
- 1 ½ cups chopped fresh basil
- 1-2 tbsp or to taste, chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp corn starch
- ½ tsp or to taste, salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 3 cups penne pasta
- 4 tbsp milk powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Slice one red bell pepper into strips.
- Slice half an onion into strips.
- Roughly chop 1 1/2 cups of fresh basil.
- Blend/puree 12oz can of adobo in chipotle sauce (you’ll only need 1-2 Tbsp, so you can buy the smallest available size if you can find it).
- Wipe a light coat of oil on a pan and put on medium heat.
- Add bell pepper and onion, cook till lightly brown and caramelized.
- Add 1 Tbsp chipotle sauce, chopped basil, chicken bouillon, garlic powder, and sugar.
- Prepare cornstarch by adding 2-3 teaspoon of cold water. Do not add cornstarch directly to the pan without mixing with water first.
- Add cornstarch mixture, stir, and cook until thick and no longer watery.
- Taste, and add additional chipotle sauce or salt if necessary.
- Stir, and remove from heat.
- Separate into two portions and dehydrate at 125 degrees for 6-8 hours or until dry and leathery.
- Cut dehydrated sauce into strips, store appropriately with milk powder and penna pasta.
ON THE TRAIL
- Cook penne pasta.
- Drain most of the water, retaining some in the pot.
- Add chipotle sauce and milk powder.
- Stir until sauce melts and becomes creamy and smooth.
- Add optional olive oil and enjoy!