Cowboy Chicken and Bean Stew
A paprika-spiced casserole that's campsite-friendly and warming for the tum- pinto beans stretch the dish a little further
- drizzle of oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon chopped
- 8 chicken portions we used thighs and drumsticks, skin removed
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes with garlic
- 200 g barbecue sauce measure by filling half a 400g can if you don’t have scales
- 1 tbsp dried oregano or mixed dried herbs
- 2 x 400g cans pinto beans
- grated cheddar and tortilla chips to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish with a lid. Add the onion and bacon, and cook over a medium heat for 15 mins, until the onion is really soft and starting to brown, and the bacon is crisp. Push to the side of the pan, increase the heat and add the chicken pieces. Cook for a few mins until the meat is nicely browned, but don’t worry if it’s not evenly coloured. Add the paprika, tomatoes, along with half a can (200ml) water, the barbecue sauce, herbs, a pinch of salt and a generous amount of black pepper. Cover with a lid, lower the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 45 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Check that the chicken is tender – if not, cover again and cook for 15 mins more. Add the beans and simmer, uncovered, for 20 mins until the sauce is thickened. Serve in bowls topped with grated cheddar and tortilla chips, if you like.
Calories: 614kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 43g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 3.4mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 23g