Chickpea Curry With Coconut Milk
Packed with plant-based protein, completely filling, and loaded with flavor, this easy chickpea curry with coconut milk is sure to hit the spot!
- 1 tablespoon oil or ghee
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 tablespoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ cayenne pepper optional, omit for milder heat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 14 oz can coconut milk
- 1 14 oz can chickpeas, drained
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- handful cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup yogurt optional, plain dairy free or Greek
- Heat the oil or ghee in a pot over medium heat and add the onions, sauteing until translucent but not browning.
- Add the Garam Masala, turmeric, ground ginger, cinnamon, and cayenne, and stir briefly toast the spices so they become fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk, tomato paste, and salt. Stir until the tomato paste is completely blended into the coconut milk, then add the chickpeas.
- Cook over medium to med-low heat, stirring frequently until the sauce thickens to your liking – 10 or 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare your sides (see serving suggestions).
- Serve the chickpea curry with a squeeze of lime, a dollop of yogurt (optional), and garnish with plenty of cilantro.
Serve over rice or cauliflower rice. Rice can be made at home ahead of time and reheated, or cooked from scratch on the second burner of your stove.Toasted naan is another great side – warm pre-made naan over the open flame of your stove or campfire, turning frequently with metal tongs until browned.
Calories: 368kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 23g | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 6g