These tasty dutch oven enchiladas are the perfect campfire recipe to warm you up on a chilly camping trip.
- 1 white onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- ½ can green chiles
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 can green enchilada sauce
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 can black beans
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- jalapenos optional for topping
- sour cream optional for topping
- fresh cilantro optional for topping
- Slice green pepper, red pepper and onion.
- Sauté green pepper, red pepper and onion until the peppers are soft and onion is translucent. Add green chiles, cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder. Store in an airtight container.
ON THE TRAIL
- Spread a small portion of the enchilada sauce at the bottom of the dutch oven.
- Spread a spoonful of the sautéed peppers and onions and black beans in each tortilla. Sprinkle each with cheese, then tightly wrap the tortilla. Place the tortilla in your dutch oven.
- Cover the tortillas with the remaining enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Set the cast iron dutch oven over campfire coals. Using tongs, also place 5-8 coals on the dutch oven lid in a checker formation. Check the enchiladas after 10 minutes. They are done once the sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted.