Campfire Bean ‘N’ Ham Soup
These are the best beans and ham you’ll ever taste—bar none! Friends rave about this hearty soup that I serve hot off the grill. For easy cleanup, consider covering the outside of your Dutch oven with heavy-duty foil first.
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 2 small onions
- 8 cups water
- 4 cups cubed fully cooked lean ham 1-1/2 pounds
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Place beans in an ovenproof Dutch oven; add enough water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1-4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Chop 1 onion; slice second onion and separate into rings.
- Set onions aside.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- Return beans to the pan.
- Add reserved onions; stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover pan and place on the grill rack over indirect medium heat.
- Cover grill; cook for 1 hour or until beans are almost tender.
- Uncover Dutch oven; cover grill and cook 30 minutes longer or until beans are tender.
- Discard ham hocks.
Calories: 197kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 612mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 3g