Camp Chili and Cornbread
Just because you’re around a campfire doesn’t mean you can’t treat yourself to some comfort food. This recipe will have the whole camp lethargic from being so stuffed!
- 3 pounds of ground beef
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 8 cloves of garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon of dried oregano
- 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 16 oz can of kidney beans or black beans
- 5 tablespoons of chili powder
- 2 tablespoons of ground chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 can of beer or water
- 17 oz boxes of Jiffy cornbread or any other corn bread mix you like
- eggs and milk for the Jiffy cornbread mix
- Salt and black pepper
- Make a layer of hot coals on the ground.
- Place the dutch oven over the coals and allow the dutch oven to get hot.
- Cook the ground beef until it starts to brown, breaking up the meat with a spatula.
- Add the onions, garlic, and bell pepper and continue to cook until the vegetables are softened
- Add the chili powder, chipotle powder, cumin, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste.
- Add the can of beer and beans and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Make the cornbread mix in a bowl and pour over the top of the chili.
- Place the lid on top of the dutch oven and place about 20 hot coals over the top of the lid.
- Cook for about 10 minutes and check to see if the cornbread is done cooking by lifting the lid and poking a skewer through the cornbread. If it comes out clean the chili is done.