Pie Iron Pizza Calzones
Pie Irons are incredibly versatile and allow you to cook a lot of different foods over a campfire or grill. With this recipe, you can enjoy the great taste of pizza while out camping, the enjoyment of a campfire, and the satisfaction of cooking your own food.
- Pre-Made Pizza Dough
- Pizza Sauce
- Mozarella Cheese
- Diced Tomatoes 1 can
- Grease your pie iron with cooking spray, butter or oil.
- Stretch out your pizza dough and cover both sides of the pie iron.
- On only one side of the iron, apply your sauce, pepperonis and cheese. Fill slightly over the top of the iron.
- Close and lock your pie iron, cleaning off any dough that has escaped the sides of the iron (this will just burn).
- Cooking Time is going to completely depend on your campfire and how close you are holding the iron to the heat source. Try to get the iron close to a nice bed of coals while continually rotating the iron. This will help the dough to cook slowly and evenly. Typical cooking time is 5-10 minutes.
Be patient while cooking. The hardest part of Pie Iron cooking is getting the timing down right. Remember to use a calm fire and continually rotate your iron to avoid hot spots.