Ground Turkey Taco Stew
Loads of protein accompanied by a good ol' taco crunch! Try this Mexican recipe to spice up your hikes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 kg lean turkey mince 2.2 lb
- 2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 can black beans 400g/14oz, drained
- 1 can sweet corn 340g/12oz, drained
- 1 packet organic Taco spice mixture Santa Maria
- 1 can diced tomatoes 400g/14oz
- Salt to taste
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon freeze-dried Cheddar cheese powdered.
- 1 handful corn chips or tortilla chips, crumbled
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add onions and cook until soft and golden.
- Add the ground turkey and cook until fully brown. Transfer to a colander.
- Drain and then return to the saucepan.
- Tip in red pepper, beans, sweet corn and Taco spice mix.
- Continue to cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes together with their juice and bring to a boil.
- Add chooped cilantro and season to taste.
- Reduce heat to low, put a lid on and leave to cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool thoroughly.
- Spread the Ground Turkey Taco Stew on dehydrator trays covered with non-stick sheets or parchment paper.
- Dehydrate at 63C/145F for 8-12 hours until brittle.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Divide the dried meal into equal portions (about 1 cup each) and pack them into separate zip lock bags.
ON THE TRAIL- to rehydrate 1 portion
- Pour dry Ground Turkey Taco Stew mixture into a pot and add 1 cup water.
- Place pot over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand another for another 5-10 minutes to rehydrate meal completely.
- To serve, stir in cheese powder and sprinkle with crumbled corn chips.
For the paleo version, skip the cheddar cheese
Calories: 532kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 58.6g | Fat: 19.4g | Sodium: 944mg | Fiber: 5.1g | Sugar: 8.3g