Denver Egg Backpacking Scramble
- 1 Dehydrator
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup milk powder or milk substitute
- 1 cup cooked ham
- 2 Tbsp red onion diced
- 1 ½ cups green pepper diced
- 1 ½ cups mushrooms diced
- ¼ cup butter powder
- ⅔ cup grated Colby cheese freeze-dried or dehydrated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Beat together eggs and milk powder. Heat a lightly greased frying pan to medium heat. Pour the egg mixture into the pan, keeping it moving using a spatula as it cooks. Season with salt and pepper halfway through cooking. As the egg mixture cooks, try to break up the eggs into smaller pieces to make them easier to dehydrate. Remove from heat.
- Add the scrambled eggs and diced ham to a dehydrator. On a separate level add the diced mushrooms, green pepper, and onion.
- Turn on the dehydrator and run for 4-6 hours, until everything is completely dry. (*Note: The eggs and ham may take longer to dehydrate than the veggies depending on the size of the pieces and your dehydrator, so on checking them around the 3–4-hour mark. If the veggies are done but the eggs and ham need more time, simply remove them, and continue to run the dehydrator until the rest of it is done.)
- Split into airtight bags and store.
On the Trail:
- Around 20 minutes before you plan to eat, add 1/4 cup water to the bag and stir. When ready to eat, add boiled water, little by little, stirring to combine until it’s at your preferred consistency. Seal the bag or cover the container if using one and let sit for a couple of minutes to let water fully absorb before eating.