Campfire French Toast
- Butter for foil
- 5 large eggs
- ¼ c. whole milk
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 loaf sliced white bread
- 1 c. sliced strawberries for serving
- ¼ c. powdered sugar for garnish
- Maple syrup for serving
- Grease a large piece of foil with butter and shape it into a boat. Place bread slices inside, standing up to keep its loaf shape. (It’s okay for slices to fall slightly open.) Add another piece of foil underneath for double coverage.
- In a large liquid measuring cup, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Carefully pour over bread, making sure to get between each slice.
- Cover whole loaf with foil. Place over campfire — NOT over the hottest part — until egg mixture is cooked through and bread is lightly toasted, about 40 minutes.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Dust with powdered sugar and garnish with sliced strawberries. Serve warm with syrup.
Not camping? This recipe works well in the oven too! Follow steps 1 and 2, then bake the loaf at 375° for about 40 minutes.