A ton of flavor, calories, and portability.
Servings 4 people
- 4 oz Nalgene travel bottle
- 2 cups orzo
- 1 cup zucchini ¼-inch rounds cut into quarters
- 1 cup summer squash ¼-inch rounds cut into quarters
- ½ cup corn
- 1 bell pepper diced to ¼-inch squares
- 1 jalapeno minced
- 1 onion diced
- 4 Tbsp tomato powder or 6 Tbsp tomato paste, dehydrated
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 oz summer sausage
- 2 Tbsp Creole seasoning
- 2 tsp salt
- Cook the orzo according the instructions on the box. Drain, spread on lined dehydrator trays and dehydrate at 130 degrees for 6 hours.
- On separate trays, dehydrate the veggies and tomato paste (if using). When fully dried, combine with dried orzo in zipper lock back.
In the field:
- Cut the sausage into cube and fry over medium heat, stirring frequently, until exteriors are crisp. Set aside, leaving fat in the pan.
- Add the salt and Creole seasoning with 1 Tbsp olive oil to the pan and stir, cooking over medium heat, for 1 minute. Add 5 cups of water and the orzo and veggie mixture. Continue cooking for 5 to 8 minutes. When the water is absorbed, add the remaining oil and stir constantly until the orzo is fully rehydrated.
Omit the jalapeno and scale back the Creole seasoning if spicy is problematic.
Calories: 602kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 16g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 1571mg | Potassium: 794mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 2455IU | Vitamin C: 61mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 3mg