Sierra Club @ Casey
If you’re not getting out into nature much, Boulder Valley Inspiring Connections Outdoors (ICO) and Sierra Club @ Casey are for you.
Boulder Valley ICO
Boulder Valley ICO is a District-wide program that offers free nature outings and wilderness adventures for people who aren’t getting outdoors, perhaps because they don’t own the required gear or because they don’t have friends or family who can take them. We provide the gear, transportation, food, logistics, and leadership for the outings we offer. Our outings run year round, including the summers, and they range from local, half-day fly fishing to week-long backpacking trips in neighboring states. Typical outings include:
- Backpacking in the Needles District of Canyonlands National Park
- Backpacking and fishing in the Beartooths Wilderness of Wyoming
- Service outings to a wolf sanctuary in Southern Colorado
- Belly sledding and snow cave building in the Indian Peaks Wilderness
- Car camping in Kearney, Nebraska to witness the Sandhill Crane migration
- Fishing in Boulder County
- Night hikes
- Mountain biking and camping
You can find out about upcoming outings by visiting our website our events page. Sign up for outings by contacting Ms. Powers (Room C220) or sign up to our Remind classroom for notice by text message when registration is open for new outings. To sign up for these text messages, text the message @scatcasey to the number 81010.
Sierra Club @ Casey
Sierra Club @ Casey is an after-school club at Casey Middle School that is run by Boulder Valley ICO. The club teaches more advanced outdoor skills than we can teach on our outings. Skills we teach include:
- Animal tracking
- Wilderness survival
- Route finding by map and compass
- Fly fishing
- Fly tying
- Nature art and journaling
- Nature photography
Students who are regular participants in our after-school club have priority when filling the most popular Boulder Valley ICO outings. The after school club meets every Wednesday from 3:50 to 5 p.m. in Room C220 (Ms. Powers).