Backwoods Almond Berry Oatmeal
- ½ cup instant oats (packets, original flavor)
- ¼ cup freeze-dried or dried blueberries
- ¼ cup freeze-dried or dried strawberries
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 4 tbs of Almond Nut Butter
- At Home:
- Put the oats, blueberries, strawberries, and almonds into a small sealable bag. Put the almond butter in a separate bag.
- Seal the bag well, and double bag it if needed. You don’t want the bag to rip.
ON THE TRAIL
- Open the bag and take out the almond butter.
- Pour the oat mixture into your bowl and add about 1 cup of boiling water.
- Finally, open the almond butter and stir that in.
It’s tempting to use plain oats to avoid the wasteful packaging of individual packets. Resist this temptation because kids will much prefer the familiar flavor and sweetness of the packet oatmeal. Adornment with other flavors will be welcomed by some, but not all.