Backpacker’s Apple Crisp
An easy backpacking dessert, this Apple Crisp is a fun way to end a day of hiking.
- 1 ½ cup 1 oz freeze-dried apples
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅓ cup granola
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Place the freeze-dried apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and cloves in a sealable bag. In a second bag, place the granola and the walnuts.
ON THE TRAIL
- Empty the apple mix into your cookpot. Add about 3 oz water to the pot and stir. Light your stove, then cook over a medium-low flame until the apples have softened, the sugar dissolves, and the liquid thickens a bit, stirring often and adding more water if needed.
- Once the apple mixture is ready, remove the pot from the heat and sprinkle the granola and walnuts over the top. Grab your spork and dig in!